POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eva sails away : Re: Eva sails away Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eva sails away
From: Alain
Date: 26 Oct 2008 14:15:35
Message: <4904b3c7$1@news.povray.org>
Arttu Voutilainen nous illumina en ce 2008-10-25 17:18 -->
> I have been working on this image since summer, and now, after 73 hours
> of rendering, it's finally ready enough to be posted here.
>
> I guess I have to render still another version, as there are some
> problems with this one: for example, I have no idea what causes the
> white lines on the sails. It is due to fog-media, but I don't now why.
> POV3.7b29 makes them white, with 3.6 they are more brown but still visible.
>
> Another problem is the water: I had cool waves but focal blur did
> something bad to them.. I'll have to fix that too.
>
> But, before I render this in full size, I would like to hear any
> comments and critics you guys have. With lots media, trees, grass,
> radiosity and focal blur, this one takes lots of time to render
> (95:54:47 Rendering line 91 of 720, 67276 rad. samples on zbxt.net) so I
> would like to make it as good as I can before I wait some months for it
> to render :P

Try a test rander without focal blur nor radiosity.
In that render, use a partly transparent texture for your media container. You
may discover that those lines are where the media container intersect the sails.

If that's the case, try altering the container's shape or position so that it
never intersect the sails. If you use a plane, just place it higher so that it's
placed over the masts.

For your focal blur, try a smaller aperture.
You may also do away with it and use a blured transparency just for the lower
part. In that kind of scene, focal blur should be minimal, if present at all,
and only visibly affect the extreme foreground.

--
Alain
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.