POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucent Leaf Texture : Re: Translucent Leaf Texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucent Leaf Texture
From: stbenge
Date: 25 Oct 2008 15:23:36
Message: <49037238@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> A fast-rendering solution to this would be to have a double_illuminate
> or translucency pigment block, probably one for each texture and
> inside_texture. Simply giving the leaf inside and outside textures will
> not work as intended. Most programs have a translucency material layer,
> and I think POV-Ray will have to have one of its own to match the
> rendering capabilities of other programs.

A simple example of why something like this is needed would be paper
currency. In any paper currency these days, there is a ghost image
inside the paper. One side of the bill has one image, the other side
another, and somewhere in the middle is the ghost image. Try to do this
with POV. Chances are you'll end up resorting to using media or making a
second object for the ghost.

Here's how it might look if you could specify a transluceny (aka
density) pigment for surfaces:

object{
  fifty_dolla_bill // an infinitely thin rectangle
  texture{
   pigment{
    image_map{tga"presidents_mug.tga"}
   }
  }
  inside_texture{
   pigment{
    image_map{tga"capital.tga"}
   }
  }
  interior{
   translucency{
    image_map{tga"ghost_of_washington.tga"}
   }
  }
  double_illuminate
}

The ghost would only appear on the unlit side of the bill, where you
could clearly see the effects of double_illuminate. A clever person
could make ghost_of_washington.tga an average of the other two
image_maps, to complete the effect.

I'm thinking it would be much simpler to have the effect specified in
the interior block, as such a pigment would have to be common among the
others.

Sam