POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Translucent Leaf Texture : Re: Translucent Leaf Texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucent Leaf Texture
From: Alain
Date: 24 Oct 2008 14:32:00
Message: <490214a0$1@news.povray.org>
slongay nous illumina en ce 2008-10-24 13:58 -->
> Hi, I am currently trying to render large trees in POV-Ray. I have attached an
> image of a prototype scene so you can see what I mean. The scene used was
> created by Gilles Tran and is available here:
> http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=38
>
> I have just replaced his tree with one of mine.
>
> The issue I am having is that with so many leaves light does not propagate into
> the crown of the tree. In the picture I have posted I used a %50 transparent
> leaf texture which helps a little but also blurs everything and would look bad
> for close up shots.
>
> What I am looking for is a way to make a texture that allows light to pass
> through it while not having the object transparent.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this in POV-Ray?
>
> Thanks
> -Steve

Nice image. I've seen trees done by professionals using big buck$ applications
that are far from your's in both quality and realism.

You can use leaf shaped objetcs filled with a scattering and an absorbing media:
SLOW
You can use an object with an ior and an averaged surface normal just like for
blured reflection. If your object have two faces, make sure that your normals
count stay low, like no more than 16 or so.
If you use radiosity, try increasing the recursion_level.

--
Alain
"We returned the General to El Salvador, or maybe Guatemala, it's difficult to