POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : In Xanadu : Re: In Xanadu Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In Xanadu
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Oct 2008 08:05:44
Message: <4901ba18$1@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
>> This is the final version (for the time being) of a scene developed and
>> discussed on the French POV-Ray n.g. The title refers to Coleridge's poem
>> Kubla Khan: "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan / A stately pleasure-dome decree."
>
> Stately indeed.

Thank you, Bill!

> I love the dome, very nice, very credible in size. It does bother me that
> the
> man in the foreground obscures it though! Trees and mountains look
> amazing, and
> the cars really fit in, they make it feel like 1920s Egypt or something
> (not
> that I was ever there ;-)

Well, I asked him to move to the side when I set up my plate camera, but
would you believe it? He simply refused! And then that other beasty came up
to me and I had to hurry to take the snapshot...
Yes, now that you mention it, it reminds of that place and period indeed...

> If this is an ongoing work, I look forward to the next instalment!

That will take some time I am afraid. I want to put my attention on a couple
of other projects first now.

> (How long did this take to render, by the way?)

I did not note it down seriously, but while doing also other things, the
parsing and render took about 12 hours in total and in three MegaPov
sessions, on an XP Pentium D 2x3GHz

Thomas