POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : In Xanadu : Re: In Xanadu Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:28:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In Xanadu
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Oct 2008 07:54:18
Message: <4901b76a@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> schreef in bericht news:490186ef$1@news.povray.org...

>      I haven't tried it with palm trees myself, but I have used this
> method to make better looking olive trees. It works well for distance
> shots.
>
>     Or another idea would be to model a palm leaf yourself and add it onto
> the trees, rotating them in the same direction as the cape. I think you
> would only need three or four just to give the impression of wind.

Indeed. Indeed... I see that you have gone that track before, Steve!

>> There is some dust blowing behind the car and palms to the left. Still,
>> this is something I am not entirely happy about.
>
>     Ah, I see it. It's not too obvious though. Hmm, not really sure what
> you could do to improve that, apart from maybe just intensify it around
> the palm trunks?

Yes that would certainly be possible. The problem though is that by
intensifying the dust media, the container becomes too apparent. I have been
using code from Loki to achieve the media, maybe I should work on that a bit
more. But as I said, this scene is on hold for the time being as other
tantalizing things are profiling themselves above the POV horizon, like the
new TC-RTC Challenge  :-) or should I say challenges?

>     Those Komodo's work well in this image, Thomas.

Yes, they do indeed. My first, really classic idea was to give the figure an
eagle or other hunting bird. However, as I did not have one, I thought about
the photograph I had seen somewhere of a man with a hyena on a leash, and
that pointed to the Komodo dragon immediately.

Thomas