POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragons & sphere (cgsphere) - radiosity splotches : Re: Dragons & sphere (cgsphere) - radiosity splotches Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragons & sphere (cgsphere) - radiosity splotches
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Oct 2008 16:56:05
Message: <48f8fbe5@news.povray.org>
Vincent L. escreveu:
> With the following settings I get round splotches as shown
> on the attached image. I tried various changes in the settings
> making the splotches smaller, or changing their location,
> but to date, I still have round splotches. (I manage to find these
> by comparing with other settings renders ; with nearest_count 10
> splotches move and are less visible, yet there are still splotches).
>
> Has anyone of you encountered such splotches and managed to
> get rid of them ? Any suggestion ?

Even the best get some radiosity splotches in pov-ray, like Gilles
Tran's awarded wikipedia glasses image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Glasses_800_edit.png

There's one single splotch near the bottom.  Impressive, given all the
glasses and reflections!

sources here:
http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=40

He uses a simple
global_settings {
     assumed_gamma 1
     max_trace_level 30
     #if (RadOK>0)
         radiosity {
             #if (RadOK=1)
                 count 50
                 error_bound 2
             #else
                 count 200
                 error_bound 0.1
             #end
             recursion_limit 2
             nearest_count 8
             brightness 1
             normal on
         }
     #end
}

and RadOK = 2 for max quality...

> P.S. Splotches are apparently linked to reflection finish
> (finish { reflection { 0.0, 0.5 } }) of the dragons. The same
> scene with matte dragons has no splotches...

Yes.  But I'd say the only splotch I'm able to spot in your scene is the
one in the ground.  Other than that, the ground lines look terribly
jaggy or something...