POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering... : Re: Just wondering... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just wondering...
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Oct 2008 04:56:50
Message: <48f701d2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I actually find it really fascinating to learn about the history of
> English words.  Whilst learning German it is surprising how many words
> are actually German words in disguise (once you know a few "rules").

Similarly, how many words are based on Latin or just *are* Latin...

Ambulo - "I walk"
Vocat - "I speak"
Laborat - "I work"
etc.

The nice thing about Latin is that most of the sounds are pronouncible.
It took me an entire evening of practice to finally master uttering the
words "Lieblich Gedackt". o_O

(Similarly, while taking the train through Switzerland, there are an
endless number of stations who's name, as read by the recorded
announcement, sounded more like somebody coughing than anything you
could describe as a "word".)