POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering... : Re: Just wondering... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just wondering...
From: scott
Date: 16 Oct 2008 04:44:54
Message: <48f6ff06$1@news.povray.org>
> "English: A language that hides in dark corners waiting to mug other
> language, rifle through their pockets and steal spare vocabulary."

I actually find it really fascinating to learn about the history of English
words.  Whilst learning German it is surprising how many words are actually
German words in disguise (once you know a few "rules").

eg

Tag -> Day  (T -> D and G -> Y rule)
Apfel -> Apple (F -> P rule)
Gelb -> Yellow (G -> Y rule again, plus b -> w)
Gestern -> Yesterday (G -> Y rule again)
habe -> have
Tuer -> Door
Gott -> God

etc...