POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Gamma correction of input colours/image files : Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files Server Time
3 May 2024 07:45:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 10 Oct 2008 08:27:00
Message: <48ef4a14@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote in message news:48ef0656@news.povray.org...
> Attached is an example, the middle row of spheres is from eg a 2D drawing
> or
> web page etc.  The top row is the result if you just try to use those
> colours in POV directly, the bottom row is if POV applied inverse gamma to
> those colours prior to rendering.  Note that these are both rendered with
> display gamma of 2.2, if you try a higher display gamma the difference is
> even bigger.

I'm going to jump in here and hopefully I won't look too foolish ....
however I think the top row looks more like what I'd expect. I wrestled with
this when I was doing the v3.7 scene file updates. I settled on
display_gamma = 2.5. You know the documentation example about dosen't really
talk about color. The example shows grey, black, & white probably best for
determining brightness and contrast. Componets of gamma correction right?

> The bottom row is what most users would expect, I think.

brightness looks to low to me. contrast compares with top row.

Jim