POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Colors.inc : Re: Colors.inc Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colors.inc
From: scott
Date: 9 Oct 2008 11:26:26
Message: <48ee22a2$1@news.povray.org>
>  No, assumed_gamma is used for all the input values.

My experiences lead me to believe that isn't the case.

Please tell me what settings to use to render this correctly then:

#default {finish{ambient 0}}
background{ color rgb <255,128,64>/255 }
light_source { <0,0,-1> 1 parallel point_at <0,0,0>}
box{ 0 1              translate <   0,0,2> pigment{color rgb 1} }
box{ 0 1 rotate y*-60 translate <-1.5,0,2> pigment{color rgb 1} }

The output file should consist of orange background pixels of 255,128,64,
and the right box should be twice as bright as the left box *on my monitor*
(ie utilising whatever gamma setting I have, could be 1.8 for mac or 2.2 for
PC).  This is the expected output.

If I render with no gamma correction, I get the expected result: correct
background colour, and the actual pixel values of the right box are twice
the left box.  But how to apply gamma correction without screwing up the
background colour?  Currently the only solution I see is to apply
anti-gamma-correction to the rgb values in the source file (and to any
texture files used), which isn't ideal as the exact same source files will
then render differently depending on that users output gamma setting.