POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Colors.inc : Re: Colors.inc Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colors.inc
From: scott
Date: 9 Oct 2008 07:44:33
Message: <48edeea1$1@news.povray.org>
>  I thought the whole idea of gamma correction was that you *don't* have
> to worry about whether <.75, .75, .75> "looks right". In other words,
> <.75, .75, .75> should always look the same in all systems, assuming those
> systems have a proper gamma correction set up.

POV works in linear colour space though, not gamma corrected.  So when you
supply colours or textures to POV, you need to inverse gamma correct them
first, to get correct results.

IMO POV should have an option to do this automatically, as people are used
to knowing what <0.75,0.75,0.75> looks like on their desktop (eg by using
Paint or HTML).  <0.75,0.75,0.75> in a POV colour statement or a texture
used by POV means something different currently.