POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem(s) with object pattern using text object : Re: Problem(s) with object pattern using text object Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem(s) with object pattern using text object
From: Chris B
Date: 8 Oct 2008 18:24:32
Message: <48ed3320@news.povray.org>

news:48ed284a$1@news.povray.org...
> High!
>
> I would like to render a brushed aluminium manufacturing plane on the back
> side of a wall clock and so decided to do it fully procedurally, i. e.
> using an object pattern with text object(s) rather than just an image_map.
>
> But obviously, object patterns cannot use textures, but only pigments or
> colors - at least when I try to use textures, I get the error message
> "Missing } in object, texture found instead, which is not the case if I
> used pigments or colors.

Object patterns use colors, but textures incorporating object patterns can
be overlayed on textures using other pigments, normals and finishes. The
code below illustrates this with a plain red texture and a texture using an
object pigment where the text is black and the surrounding color setting is
transparent.

> Then, irrespective of that, regardless whatever I do to get the text line
> in correct position, the text object shape simply doesn't show up a all on
> the plate... here's the code:

That was just a problem of scale. You had scaled the text by 0.03 and
translated by 0.05, bringing what was originally a 1 unit thick text block
completely clear of the surface you were attempting to display it onto.
Translating by 0.005 or translating by a small amount before you scale
solves this.

I think the following is more or less what you want to do:

camera {location <0.142/2,0.1,-0.010> look_at <0.142, 0.0001, 0.062>/2}
light_source {<-10,20,-50>, rgb 1}

#declare Clock_Manufacturing_Plate = box { 0, <0.142, 0.0001, 0.062>
   texture { pigment {color rgb <1,0,0> }}
   texture  {
     pigment {
       object {
         text {
           ttf "verdana.ttf"
           "THE HAMMOND CLOCK COMPANY", 1, 0
           scale 0.03
           rotate x*90
           translate y*0.005
         }
         color rgbt 1
         color rgb 0
       }
     }
   }
}

object {Clock_Manufacturing_Plate}

Regards
Chris B.

ps. This group is for binary images. You should've really posted this
question on povray.general, povray.newusers, or even
povray.binaries.scene-files.