POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sea Scene WIP : Re: Sea Scene WIP Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sea Scene WIP
From: Alain
Date: 3 Oct 2008 13:32:34
Message: <48e65732$1@news.povray.org>
Blue Herring nous illumina en ce 2008-10-03 08:00 -->
> Alain wrote:
>> Looks OK as is.
>>
>> I like your sig, but you can make it shorter: remove the version and
>> the global_settings. Did you notice that changing the smples valus
>> makes some big difference on the image?
>
> Thanks!  Thanks for the suggestions, I was wondering if it might be a
> bit too long.  I did notice that, and it surprised me.  I haven't seen
> that make such a difference before now.  I'm assuming that the result
> would converge at some higher setting.

It's because you use the crackle pattern with a color_map that goes from 6 to
zero over 0.03. With more samples, you follow the actual pattern more closely.
There is about no difference if you go from 20 to 40 samples, so, yes, it does
converge with larger values.
Want to shorten a bit more?
color_map{[0rgb 6][.03rgb 0][1rgb 0]}
is the same as
color_map{[0rgb 6][.03rgb 0]}

--
Alain
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear