POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : rounded intersections? : Re: rounded intersections? Server Time
3 May 2024 17:06:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounded intersections?
From: scott
Date: 1 Oct 2008 08:33:19
Message: <48e36e0f$1@news.povray.org>
> The main problem, scott, is that POV generally doesn't work with
> faces/surfaces. It works in solids.

I know, you would need to expand the CSG algorithms to keep track of
edge/face data.  Note that by edge/face I don't mean it in the triangulation
way, but in the mathematical way - ie an edge could be a curve, and a face
could be a section of a sphere, cylinder etc.

> As far as I can see, the only generalisable methods of doing this are:
>    1) Use CSG to break up the intersection into parts and build the
> rounded bits by hand or

This is what I had in mind (but not doing it by hand).  If POV kept a list
of faces/edges with each CSG object, it should be then possible for the user
to identify edges to round.  Of course more code would need to be added to
generate internally the geometry necessary for the round.

As a side-effect, having the face/edge data available would make
triangulation easier for other purposes...