POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : superlinear transformations : Re: superlinear transformations Server Time
29 Apr 2024 23:53:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: superlinear transformations
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 27 Sep 2008 00:40:41
Message: <48ddb949$1@news.povray.org>
Dan Connelly wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> This is the reason why only rotation, scaling, skewing (which is actually
>> a combination of rotation and uneven scaling) and translation is
>> possible.
>>

> I'm a bit confused about the skew argument.  There's

> matrix:
>
> 3 degrees of freedom: transformation

That should be translation.

> 3 degrees of freedom: scaling
> 3 degrees of freedom: rotation
>
> So this leaves 3 more degrees of freedom..... which are skew.
>

> (right-hand coordinates)
>
> | ax  0  0 |
> | 0  ay  0 | : scaling
> | 0  0  az |
>
> | cz  sz  0 |

> | 0   0   1 |   (permute for x, y)
>
> So between scaling and rotation, I'm constrained to
> antisymmetric matrixes.
>
> A typical shear matrix:
>
> | uz  vz  0 |

> | 0   0   1 |   (permute for x, y)
>
> So this gives me 9 parameters:
> ax, ay, az, sx, sy, sz, vx, vy, vz
>
> the same number of parameters needed to specify the full matrix.

After thinking more about this, I realized my mistake.
Matrix multiplication fails to preserve symmetry, only addition.
So given that, it's possible to generate a symmetric component (the
offdiagonal terms generating shear) in addition to a antisymmetric
component (the off-diagonal terms generating rotation) from rotation
and scaling together, as long as the scaling is non-uniform, as Warp
said.  My linear algebra is too rusty....

| 0 1 | |-1 0 |       | 0 1 |
|-1 0 | | 0 1 |   =   | 1 0 |

And my degrees of freedom argument follows only if one is allowed a single
rotation and a single scaling.  But generating pure shear requires two rotations.

Sorry....

Dan