POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Found the dynamic optimization things... : Re: Found the dynamic optimization things... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Found the dynamic optimization things...
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Sep 2008 21:47:49
Message: <48d99c45$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   In a typical modern OS there may be hundreds of processes running even
> if the system has just booted up and the user has not started any program
> of his own. There are all kinds of drivers, services, task managers,
> window managers, firewalls... you name it. Every single one of them uses
> the same system libraries (eg. typically libc plus a few others in linux).

I understand that. How much of libc is actually used in common by a
majority of those programs? What sorts of things do you think are in
libc that's used by all the programs, other than (let's see) I/O and
perhaps the floating point stuff (which probably isn't used by too many
device drivers, task managers, or firewalls :-).

In any case, like I said, there are possibilities in that system that
you could have libraries like that available at certain shared physical
addresses if you wanted, or being set up as services in their own
process, for large discrete-functionality packages. Indeed, this is just
exactly how the kernel itself is set up.  They just don't do it for
other packages, yet, as far as I know.

>   Just because the user has not started any program doesn't mean there
> isn't a big bunch of programs running.

Yes. And far more in Singularity, because all those things actually are
separate processes.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)