POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Found the dynamic optimization things... : Re: Found the dynamic optimization things... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Found the dynamic optimization things...
From: Warp
Date: 23 Sep 2008 17:48:40
Message: <48d96438@news.povray.org>
> Certainly for general desktop or server systems, you might have dozens
> of non-trivial applications running at once. In contrast, I think the
> first target environment for Singularity is something akin to TiVo, or
> Media Center, where you really don't have someone with dozens of windows
> open at once.

  In a typical modern OS there may be hundreds of processes running even
if the system has just booted up and the user has not started any program
of his own. There are all kinds of drivers, services, task managers,
window managers, firewalls... you name it. Every single one of them uses
the same system libraries (eg. typically libc plus a few others in linux).

  Just because the user has not started any program doesn't mean there
isn't a big bunch of programs running.

--
                                                          - Warp