POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Found the dynamic optimization things... : Re: Found the dynamic optimization things... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:30:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Found the dynamic optimization things...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Sep 2008 17:09:51
Message: <48d95b1f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   With all the talk about fancy new languages which are so super-efficient
> and so super-fast and so super-secure and whatever, I not seen too much
> discussion about one thing: What about dynamically loadable libraries?

GHC [currently the best Haskell compiler] used to be able to compile
DLLs. At some point that code path bitrotted and stopped working; I'm
not sure what the current status is.

According to the old documentation, it used to be a case of throwing a
commond line switch, and your compiled program would call DLL versions
of the Haskell libraries rather than being statically linked to them.
You don't change any Haskell code, it's just a compiler switch.

Needless to say, if you have a few dozen Haskell programs, not having a
dozen copies of the Prelude is something of a win. (!)

I'll see if I can figure out what the current status of this feature
is... I'm curios myself.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/