POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Found the dynamic optimization things... : Re: Found the dynamic optimization things... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Found the dynamic optimization things...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Sep 2008 15:58:30
Message: <48d94a66$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Oh, and btw, download that there Singularity OS. Note the almost
> complete lack of anything remotely approaching C in the source. The use
> of C in Singularity is approximately like the use of assembler in
> C-based operating systems - the stuff that's impossible to do in the
> higher-level languages, like turning interrupts into appropriate stack
> frames and saving off registers during context switches.

Or, alternatively, House, which is a mixture of Haskell and assembly.
(It contains 0% C.)

Of course, there's no software to run on it (unless it's written in
Haskell - oh wait, I already said "no software", I'm repeating myself),
and it's a highly experimental research prototype, not a production OS.
And honestly, I doubt it'll ever be a production OS either...

Lots of very cool stuff like using the type system to ensure that
hardware registers are accessed in the correct way, etc., but who's
gonna use it?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/