POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Found the dynamic optimization things... : Re: Found the dynamic optimization things... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 19:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Found the dynamic optimization things...
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Sep 2008 14:47:01
Message: <48d939a5$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> That was one of the premises they started with: what if nothing in the
>> OS was written in a language like C? :-)
>
>   They will still need dynamically loadable libraries for the system to
> be rational.

It's possible. I suppose it also depends on (a) how much memory they
think they'll have in machines by the time it's actually a production
OS, and (b) what markets they're targetting.

Certainly for general desktop or server systems, you might have dozens
of non-trivial applications running at once. In contrast, I think the
first target environment for Singularity is something akin to TiVo, or
Media Center, where you really don't have someone with dozens of windows
open at once.

But sure, I can see the system evolving to put something like the
native-code regexp library in a dedicated page of address space, loading
it on demand, and sharing it with all the different programs that use
that library. Or, you could just have a "regexp server" where you send
the strings you want parsed and it returns you the results. This
wouldn't have a whole lot more overhead than simply calling it directly,
since you're sharing address space with the regexp server itself. It's
not like it would have the IPC overhead it would in Windows or Linux or
something.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)