POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My first C++ program : Re: A test Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:06:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A test
From: Warp
Date: 22 Sep 2008 18:07:18
Message: <48d81716@news.povray.org>
> >   There just is something about the Haskell paradigm and syntax that
> > makes it confusing and hard to assimilate.

> I think most of the powerful languages have syntax that's confusing and
> hard to assimilate. C and C++ are also very confusing in syntax. (For
> example, I can barely follow the reference-counting pointer code you
> posted, and that only because I am only trying to read it and not write
> it. :-)

  OTOH, I assume his code was something relatively simple. Something you
would write when you are creating a simple and straightforward program.

  My reference counting pointer code uses rather advanced techniques
(related to, among other things, how allocators are used and how templates
behave) which are quite unusual in "normal" C++.

  One good thing in C++ is that usually you can *hide* all that overly
complicated and advanced code behind a simple and nice public interface,
so that the code which *uses* that code can be simple, straightforward
and easy to understand.

  With the Haskell examples I often get the feeling that the code which
I have hard time understanding is code which you write normally, when
implementing your main code, not some advanced techniques you hide behind
a nice module interface.

--
                                                          - Warp