POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crockery Jug : Re: Crockery Jug Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crockery Jug
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 21 Sep 2008 06:54:54
Message: <48d627fe@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> Why bothering using several transparency statements in am image_map? You
> can set your GIF to have one, or several color, as transparent. That way,
> you can make the background disapear.
> Or, you could have used a PNG with an alpha channel, and have antialiased
> transparency.

this was something new to me so maybe my work flow needs a look still. I
ended up with a color_map with 16 colors. Some of thhe colors were gradients
of blue (transition between the blue swan outline and the background). I
made all the transition colors all blue or all white. Then ended up with the
texture statement looking like this:

texture {
      pigment {
      image_map {
        gif "Swan.gif"
        transmit 11,1.0
        transmit 12,1.0
        transmit 13 1.0
        transmit 14,1.0
        transmit 15,1.0
        once
        }
      scale <0.05,0.25,0.05>
      scale 3
      warp {cylindrical}
      translate y*1.4
      rotate y*300
      }

maybe not the most elegant but it worked for what I wanted.

Jim