POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7 example scenes : Re: v3.7 example scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7 example scenes
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 21 Sep 2008 06:44:49
Message: <48d625a1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:48d60e3d@news.povray.org...
> Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> while having a look at the include files i think i may have come up with
>> one
>> more housekeeping issue that may be worthy of consideration.
>>
>> the issue of the I_Glass warning .....
>>
>> there are 14 scenes that call glass.inc (which calls glass_old.inc). my
>> cleanup proposal involves making the textures in glass_old materials
>> which
>> would have the required inclusion of interior {I_Glass} and removing the
>> I_Glass warning message in glass.inc .... oh and making a comment in
>> glass_old header to call materials instead of textures.
>
> Jim,
>
> About the change of glass textures to materials: we need some provision
> for
> backward compatibility, otherwise lots of old scenes will be busted
> (includes some in the distro; e.g. woodbox.pov).
>
> Suggestions?
>
> -- Chris

I did change ALL distro scenes that called any glass textures the old way.
Are you talking about a personal scene that someone created with application
version less than 3.7? I thought that the error that the parser would throw
would eventually lead them to the glass.inc file where a notation was made
about the change was enough to ween everyone off the old way. If that's not
the case, how about something like we did with the assumed_gamma handling in
the globals block? Personally anytime I called glass.inc definitions I found
the parser warning annoying and copied the definition (with appropriate
I_Glass) into my scene and didn't bother even sourcing the glass.inc file at
all. As I was looking at distro scenes that had glass.inc some of the
authors had already done that. At any rate if you feel the needs a closer
look I'll do that. At first glance I'm thinking something like:

if (version < 3.7)
  make them textures
  issue I_Glass warning
else
  make them materials
end

but haven't explored the gotcha's of this yet.

Jim