POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My first C++ program : Re: A test Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A test
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Sep 2008 15:30:29
Message: <48d54f55$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> why would want you distinguish reserved words, variables and functions?
> In C(++) they might be implemented quite differently, that does not mean
> however that are fundamentally different on a conceptual level.

I'm pretty sure "reserved words" are conceptually quite different from
variables, yes. Unless you're talking about an extensible language like
LISP or FORTH or Tcl, the reserved words let you do things that you
can't do with functions and variables, and vice versa.

Knowing what's an argument and what's a function is also pretty
important for understanding how a given line of code works. If you can't
look at the code and figure out which function bodies get evaluated, it
makes it really rough to work out what's going on, even in a functional
language.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)