POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lathe Conversion : Re: Lathe Conversion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lathe Conversion
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 16 Sep 2008 05:18:33
Message: <48cf79e9@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Edouard Poor <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Which means I can design an outline in an vector drawing package like
>> Illustrator, and then render the resulting lathe in POV.
>>
>> Attached are a couple of test images using this.
>
> I like the first one especially - are the chips bumpmapped? Very convincing if
> so.

I was surprised that it looked good - I just put in a crackle just as a
placeholder until I could come up with something nice, but it turned out
looking really nice itself:

normal {
	crackle
	slope_map {
		[ 0.0	<1,0> ]
		[ 0.6	<1,0> ]
		[ 0.6	<1,-1> ]
		[ 1.0	<0,0> ]
	}
}

> Just in case you didn't know - Inkscape (an open-source vector editor) can
> output POV-Ray splines directly. It defaults to prisms but it's a few seconds'
> work to change them to lathes.

Ahh, no, I had no idea it could do that. Still I'm a Adobe Illustrator
and Photoshop fan from way back, so I'm happy to stick with what I know
for now (I've tried Inkscape in the past, but there wasn't a native UI
Mac OS X version last time I looked). Thanks for the pointer though!

> Bill

Cheers,
Edouard.