POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Media feature request : Media feature request Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Media feature request
From: stbenge
Date: 15 Sep 2008 00:24:22
Message: <48cde376@news.povray.org>
I don't know if you guys are taking requests in this forum or not. This
is something I would like to have appear in POV-Ray in the near future.

It would be nice if media could shadow the object it resides inside, and
for there to be a force_shadow keyword for media. Let's say I had a mesh
and I gave it a white pigment with zero brilliance, double_illuminate,
and a no_shadow keyword. I would add absorbing media with a force_shadow
keyword, and the result would be a reasonably fast subsurface scattering
effect.

Right now I'm having to make a copy of the mesh which is slightly fatter
than the original, and I'm getting strange artifacts resulting from
ior+media. I would simply use scattering and absorbing media for this
project, but it's impossible to reduce certain artifacts in thin
portions, short of adding a surface normal which would increase the
render time to new highs.

So, could this be done? To have an object with media shadow itself
(affecting the double_illuminate diffuse), and for there to be a
force_shadow keyword for media so that a shadowless object's media can
still cast a shadow?

Sam