POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Media problems. : Re: Media problems. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media problems.
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 8 Sep 2008 06:44:44
Message: <48c5021c@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
news:1818c45uba5iv8h06oemp4qfa9akher6jd@4ax.com...
> When using a media with settings of:
>      confidence 0.0
>      variance   1.0

After reading this passage in help about these settings I'm confused:
As each interval is sampled, the variance is computed. If the variance is
below a threshold value, then no more samples are needed. The variance and
confidence keywords specify the permitted variance allowed and the
confidence that you are within that variance. The exact calculations are
quite complex and involve chi-squared tests and other statistical principles
too messy to describe here. The default values are variance 1.0/128 and
confidence 0.9. For slower more accurate results, decrease the variance and
increase the confidence.

Why would there ever be a condition where you would use confidence 0.0?
You're saying NO confidence in the media sample. Am I missing something
here?

Jim