POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Corrosion test : Re: Corrosion test Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:29:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Corrosion test
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 7 Sep 2008 19:28:29
Message: <48c4639d@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Edouard Poor wrote:
>> I'm applying the image with Rune's illusion.inc - I only started using
>> that a week or so ago, and there's so much that you can do with it! I
>> tried to do the mapping myself, but failed badly - luckily there are
>> plenty of people out there who are much better with maths than me...
>
> Rune's illusion.inc is *very* useful! I wonder if he knew how it would
> be used when he made it? I too tried to map an image to the viewing
> area, but failed miserably. Thank goodness he figured it out for us ;)
> He should get some sort of award for that file!

It's so useful it should be built into POV... "map_type rune" :-)

>> Hmmm, just had a thought - I wonder if you can do this trick in a
>> single pass using the camera_view pigment in Megapov? Divide the
>> universe into the same scene twice, one with AO and one with final
>> lighting, then camera_view + illusion.inc's maths to pull the AO data
>> into a pigment_pattern? Sounds both doable, and far trickier than I
>> could possibly pull off. :-)
>
> The camera pigment takes render options from the whole scene file. I
> suppose you could place a copy of the mesh in an ambient cube with
> radiosity applied, but you would have to use radiosity for the final
> image. But with MegaPOV, can't you turn radiosity off for certain
> objects? If so, you can probably do it without having to use radiosity
> for the final output.

My AOs are done with a simple light dome. So you'd make a copy of the
object off in it's own universe (some random place a long way away).
Stick it in a giant sphere if nessessary. Then create a light_group of
the AO lightdome (so as to not have those lights interfere, or slow, the
real scene). Then use a camera_view to generate the pigment for the
pigment_map on the real object. Probably be mostly achievable in a
clever macro? But it almost sound like more work that it's worth
considering how multiple renders are easy... Would get points for "extra
degree of difficulty" though :-)

>> I downloaded Blender the other day. I'm frankly a little lost in it -
>> I need to find some good tutorials or similar...
>
> I recommend that you don't give up on learning Blender. While looking at
> tutorials, keep your eye on the keyboard shortcuts, as they make the
> program much easier to use.

I'll stick with it :-)

>> I'm still trying to get my head around your proximity and related SSS
>> macros. Applying the AO image works nicely for some scenes, but your
>> proximity macro is a global solution, and not just a camera specific one.
>
> But you can't use the proximity macro for mesh objects :( If POV
> supported calling inside() for mesh objects, it would work. I wish
> somebody would figure out a way to get inside() working with meshes!

Can't you just do multiple traces to some point outside the object's
bounding box? If you had to shoot an odd number of rays, then the
location is inside, otherwise it's outside. Exactly the same as POV does
  for meshes internally?

> Sam

Cheers,
Edouard.