POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Corrosion test : Re: Corrosion test Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Corrosion test
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 7 Sep 2008 05:28:16
Message: <48c39eb0@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> Edouard Poor <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
>> What do you think?
>
> I think you are on the right track! This last image looks good, but not like
> bronze, IMO. More like turquoise. This could be due to my monitor's gamma
> setting, though. How are you applying the image? Rune's illusion.inc?

Since the first one looked so little like bronze with corrosion, I tried
  more of a stone with mold look for the second one.

I'm applying the image with Rune's illusion.inc - I only started using
that a week or so ago, and there's so much that you can do with it! I
tried to do the mapping myself, but failed badly - luckily there are
plenty of people out there who are much better with maths than me...

Hmmm, just had a thought - I wonder if you can do this trick in a single
pass using the camera_view pigment in Megapov? Divide the universe into
the same scene twice, one with AO and one with final lighting, then
camera_view + illusion.inc's maths to pull the AO data into a
pigment_pattern? Sounds both doable, and far trickier than I could
possibly pull off. :-)

> Dirt-mapping is something I always go back to. Lately I've found that Blender
> can produce good UV maps that you can burn ambient occlusion onto.

I downloaded Blender the other day. I'm frankly a little lost in it - I
need to find some good tutorials or similar...

> Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more interesting images from you
> :)

Thank-you very much!

I'm still trying to get my head around your proximity and related SSS
macros. Applying the AO image works nicely for some scenes, but your
proximity macro is a global solution, and not just a camera specific one.

> Sam

Cheers,
Edouard.