POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : no class : Re: no class Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no class
From: Shay
Date: 5 Sep 2008 17:06:37
Message: <48c19f5d$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> That worth should be manifest in the result alone, should it not?

It should not have to be. If that were the case, why have collage? or
sand-painting? or whittling? or glass blowing? or print-making? or the
butterfly stroke?

What is required to fully appreciate these things is a knowledge of
their difficulty. Any idiot can tell that drawing a picture with sand is
more difficult than taking a picture with a camera, but many wouldn't
appreciate the difficulty of, for instance, lacquer painting.

And all of this is not to say that the worth *isn't* necessarily
"manifest in the work alone." It may very well be, but, Christ, Jim,
allow that the worth may require, at the very least, a second look to
reveal itself. :) If showing the 'dirty linen' gets a second or third
look, then I see no shame in at least giving the patron a peek.

> You have always concerned yourself with latencies in artwork,
> latencies often beyond craftmanship alone.  It is the common
> thread, to my mind, in the various work I've seen you do over the
> years.

Thank you.

> *Craftsmanship is quite important to me though.

Craftsmanship, process, journey, ............ and shoes. All themes I
have recognized and appreciated in your images.

  -Shay