POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : no class : Re: no class Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no class
From: Jim Charter
Date: 5 Sep 2008 12:00:52
Message: <48c157b4@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I take of my hat and bow low, Shay. Your effort reminds me of a Chinese
> story:
>
> A rich patron visited a famous painter and asked him if he could draw a
> life-like copy of a bird (I think it was a cock, but I do not remember
> exactly) with one single brush stroke. The painter told him to come back a
> week later. That day, the painter took a virgin piece of paper and painted
> the bird in one single brush stroke. The patron was duly impressed and asked
> the painter the price of this painting. The price was a very large sum of
> gold. "What? said the patron, so much for a single brush stroke?". The
> painter took him to another room which was stuffed full with countless
> rejected trials of the bird. "It is not that single brush stroke that you
> pay, but all the days and nights I have spent to reach perfection."
>
> Thomas

Nice take on Shay's larger story about this piece.

But the story bothers me.  The painter should have called the patron an
idiot and left it at that, imo.  I mean suppose he'd painted it in a
single stroke first time then and there!  Would that be more, or less,
impressive/valuable?

More purely in the art realm, either it is beautiful/stirring/etc. or it
is not.  Does it matter if takes Mozart second, a week, or ten years to
come up with a beautiful musical motif?  If two hundred years later
hearing it played gets us out of our seats cheering madly,... then it does.