POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoVEarth, day #9 : Re: PoVEarth, day #9 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:32:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth, day #9
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 4 Sep 2008 19:50:04
Message: <48c0742c@news.povray.org>
High!

Reactor schrieb:

> /*  old declaration
> #declare T_Concrete_Inner =
> texture
> {
>     pigment { P_Concrete }
>     finish { F_Standard_Outer }
> }
> */
>
> // should be replaced with:
> #declare T_Concrete_Inner =
> texture
> {
>     pigment { P_Concrete }
>     finish { F_Standard_Inner }
> }

Oops... that's when your up to your neck in ten months' Afghanistan news
  to analyze for the current project!

> I am still adjusting other settings, but the first change I made was above, with
> the inner and outer diffuse settings.  T_Concrete_Inner is using the finish
> F_Standard_Outer, and it should be using F_Standard_Inner.
> Next:
>

> #if (balanced=1)
>    #declare radbri=1.125; /* 1.125 or so for outdoors, raise to 2.0 for indoor
> views*/

For still images, this would be a sufficient solution (and at 2.0, the
indoor brightness level is pleasantly realistic) - but what if I want
render an animation and therefore change between indoor and outdoor
"shooting"? I think an acceptable tradeoff would be 1.6 for both "modes"...

>    #declare outerDiff = 0.25;
>    #declare outerAmbi = 0.15;
>    #declare innerDiff = 1.00;
>    #declare innerAmbi = 0.00;

This, I can't duplicate... even at radbri=3, let alone 2 or 1.125,
outside surfaces are much to dark for a bright sunny day (yes, I added
the new variables to the finish statements)! Outdoor diffuse must be
considerably higher, perhaps 0.75... (I go through your suggestions step
by step, so I might find them explained by changes further below!)

>   I added additional variables for controlling the ambient settings
> individually.  I do not recommend the use of ambient light for the indoor
> portions, but it can be used to help alter the contrast of the outdoor shadows.
> I also dropped the radiosity brightness to the 1.0 to 1.25 range, observing good
> results around 1.125 for outside views.  This can be raised or lowered depending
> on how much you want the user to be able to see inside.
>

> After changing that, I raised the brightness of the light_source to match.
> Assuming a desired intensity of 1.0 * the color declared in the pigment
> statement, with a diffuse of 0.25, the light source brightness should be 4.0
> (since 4.0 * 0.25 = 1).

O.k., this is a different story then! But still, the outside surface of
the western apartment block is way too dark when looked at it from
inside my apartment (radbri = 2) - but the facade of the eastern block
almost drowns in white when rendered in view #0!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar