POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : no class : Re: no class Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no class
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Sep 2008 18:40:43
Message: <48c063eb@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:39:48 -0500, Shay wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Very cool
>
> Thank you.
>
>>> This is my last image. It's been real.
>>
>> What????  I have been missing seeing your images up here lately - was
>> wondering if we'd see more of your magic.  :-)
>
> If only it were magic. This was months of work, and the reaction to all
> who have heard that has been "what took so long?" There's a joy in
> discovering the just-right look for a particularly challenging type of
> corner, but that is a *very* expensive high, and no one can tell the
> difference in the finished image - especially when POV goofs up my
> triangles.

Well, I can understand the need to take time to create art like this, as
well as the satisfaction you must get from fixing something that isn't
quite right - even if nobody is ever going to know about it.

> I'm having dinner later this month with a successful professional artist
> and former gallery director[1] to discover the value of a wooden
> sculpture of this model. My family have a laser engraver capable of
> cutting out the dozens of necessary pieces. IF that works out, I may
> design more. I could have designed this as a wooden piece in 1/5 the
> time.

That is extremely cool.  That's what I've always liked about your images
- they look like something that could be built, and your textures are
just incredible.

That's what makes it magic to me - and while I'd love to see some of what
goes on behind the scenes, I also completely understand wanting to
preserve "the illusion" (not the right words, but I'm not sure what are);
it preserves a sense of wonder about the images.

You're just *so* good at this that you make it look easy, even though
anyone who has been around long enough to appreciate your work knows that
isn't the case.

Either way you go, best wishes to you.

Jim