POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more ruin [45 Kb] : Re: more ruin [45 Kb] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:30:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more ruin [45 Kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 Sep 2008 18:46:09
Message: <48bdc231@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

> I saw the CG Choice Gallery at forums.cgsociety.org the other day.
> Apparently the images in the "Choice" gallery are placed there by

> of the (IMO) less consistent outdoor environmental work had been
> included in the gallery alongside the often jaw-dropping character work
> seen there. Apparently, outdoor environmental work is in some ways even
> tougher than character modeling. I've never tried character modeling,
> but this would not have been my guess.

Yes I began my journey with mesh modelling with the intention of finding
a way to get the organic, character results, you mention, that were just
not possible with mathematical primitives.  With that goal never really
accomplished it has evolved into an interest in inanimate subjects, such
as a decoratively designed shoe, with complex, quasi-organic, surfaces
(that are also difficult to achieve with mathematical primatives,) but
then finally into an interest in objects complex in detail and in
positive/negative space, such as the corinthian capital, or an ornate
chalice, where the attraction is hand-modelling the complexity even
though it could also be done with csg. Meanwhile, environmental work ,
while the mainstay of many in the POV community, has always been the
least of my interests if not a complete burden.  But little by little I
am edging towards it as an expressive end.

> Your columns are an accomplishment on their own. Is your completed image
> intended to be a closeup "study"?

I had hoped to put them in an environment, the real interest was in the
'ruins' aspect of it.  Vaguely I had hoped to exploit some of Jaime's
systems to provide environments initially.

I am looking forward to seeing the
> final result of so much ambition.

Thanks for the encouragement, I would very much like to push through to
a result.

-Jim