POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipath : Re: Wikipath Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:07:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipath
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Sep 2008 18:23:25
Message: <48bdbcdd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I explained this to you some time ago.

Yes. I wanted to rephrase it so I was sure I understood.

>   It's safe for C to do that because it knows that the parameter is a
> temporary, nothing points to it, and it's the sole owner of its array.

Yes, that's kind of what I was asking.

I see where I went wrong. When I said "guaranteed not to be aliased", I
was implicitly implying (in my head rather than out loud) the
"temporary" part, and that confused people trying to help me. I should
have said "a temporary guaranteed not to be aliased."

I mean, the important part is that it isn't and will never be accessed
by something else later, so it's OK to corrupt it; that temporaries are
the obvious place where the compiler can tell this is the case is
secondary, yes?

Sorry for seeming dense.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)