POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wikipath : Re: Wikipath Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:06:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wikipath
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Sep 2008 16:22:46
Message: <48bda096@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> Specifically, they facilitate move constructors
> which are much like copy constructors except that they may destructively
> alter the source of the "copy".

One of my problems with learning C++ is the number of places where,
instead of saying "This is what this feature does", people say "this is
how you use this feature."  (Not unlike Perl, where there are all these
defaults that nobody uses because they're too complex to remember. :-)

What is a "move constructor"? When would you be "moving" some value? If
you destructively alter something with aliases, aren't you in trouble?
Isn't that what the whole "ownership" concept is supposed to prevent?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)