POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 540k polygon Ajax model : Re: 540k polygon Ajax model Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 540k polygon Ajax model
From: Alain
Date: 2 Sep 2008 12:36:32
Message: <48bd6b90$1@news.povray.org>
Edouard Poor nous illumina en ce 2008-08-31 19:11 -->
> I'd just, for the first time, started playing with some polygonal models
> available on the internet, and I saw a great rendering on the Sunflow
> gallery page of a 3D scanned stone bust:
> http://sunflow.sourceforge.net/gallery/v0072/statue_ajax-jpeg.jpg
> (from the gallery http://sunflow.sourceforge.net/index.php?pg=gall on
> Sunflows sourceforge page)
>
> The model itself has about 540,000 polygons, and is available via
> http://forum.jotero.com/viewtopic.php?t=3&sid=b917ccdcb01d6651ec313e5192f9faf2
>

> Since I'd not used high poly count models, or focal blur much, I though
> I'd just try to re-render the Sunflow picture using POVRay.
>
> The test renders took about an hour or so, but for the final render I
> pumped up the settings and went to bed - I probably set them too high,
> as the render time was 10 hours 57 minutes in the end.
>
> The focal blur was set to 100 samples, radiosity to 5 bounces,
> error_bound to 0.5, and the count to 900.
>
> Cheers,
> Edouard.

Radiosity with 5 bounces. Very slight time effect here. In that scene, most
radiosity ray hit the backgrouns after the first bounce. Whenever you reach the
background, you stop. You may also reach the adc_bailout well before you've done
all the bounces. You should see little to no difference between 3 and 5 bounces
in both time and quality.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you wonder if ground fog or