POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 540k polygon Ajax model : Re: 540k polygon Ajax model Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 540k polygon Ajax model
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 31 Aug 2008 20:30:06
Message: <48bb378e@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams wrote:
> Wasn't it Edouard Poor who wrote:
>> I converted the model using using Cross Roads 3D - which gave me a 142M
>> POV source file. Are there any other utilities that can convert other
>> 3D formats to POVRay? Something that supported mesh2 might be nice for
>> example.
>
> PoseRay will convert the OBJ file to a POV mesh2 object. The result is
> 54Mb of POV mesh2 data that renders in less than a minute (with just the
> single light source that I believe PoseRay pulls from the obj file).
>
> The only awkward thing is that the bust faces away from the camera, and
> the camera, light and model are located in illogical places. So I had to
> do this to rotate the model and put it back into view.
>
> #declare C =  (min_extent(Poseray_scene_object) +
>                max_extent(Poseray_scene_object))/2;
>
> object{
>       Poseray_scene_object
>          translate -C
>          rotate y*150
>          translate C
>       }

Ahhh, great - I'll try with PoseRay in the future. I'd read that mesh2
objects both parse faster, and take less space, both of which are good!
I think the raw render speed was about the same - a minute or so with a
single light source, and no radiosity or focal blur.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Edouard.