POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : 3.7b sample scenes, gamma : Re: 3.7b sample scenes, gamma Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.7b sample scenes, gamma
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 30 Aug 2008 11:24:59
Message: <48b9664b@news.povray.org>
"StephenS" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.48b91ee5ddcc1fa02473e82c0@news.povray.org...
> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Is this perhaps what you are seeing? I asked (what I think) was a simular
>> question and Chris answered with this:

>> > Chris Cason wrote:
>> > Please be aware that the PNG output images have the inverse gamma
>> > written into the file header and will appear differently between
>> > viewers that do and don't support using this value.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Yes, but a Windows bmp file format also shows this.
>
> Stephen S

I think your Display_Gamma setting needs to be tweaked. I noticed that the
preview image and the final (png) image looked different so I changed
Display_Gamma until both images appeared the same. If I'm understanding
correctly this is similar to the process outlined in the help feature
(black/gray bars). What looks good for me may or may not look good for you
(unless we happen to have exactly the same display hardware). I've been
using Display_Gamma=2.5 on my v3.6.1 setup forever and this also worked for
the v3.7 scene files. I compared several randomly picked (NOT ALL) of the
v3.7 files with what they looked like rendered with v3.6.1 and didn't see
any difference. I then started queuing up the files and went for it. When I
was done I did a quick QA of ALL the v3.7 scene files using a slideshow type
viewer. I felt OK with the results so I thought a cursory inspection was
adequate.

Cheers Jim