POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : more ruin [45 Kb] : Re: more ruin [45 Kb] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: more ruin [45 Kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 30 Aug 2008 11:11:30
Message: <48b96322@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht
>
>>The model of a corinthian capital is still in progress and not yet ready
>>to stand a closeup look, but it took a lot to even get to a first stage
>>of completeness.
>>

> That is certainly excellent progress already. I have avoided corinthian
> capitals until now in view of the work implied, so I am impressed.
>
> Thomas

Human features aside, it is really quite a vexing challenge.  The steep
curves and grooves of the acanthus shoots the poly count up with so
little to show for it and the model gets heavy quickly.

I thought also that it would be a lot of work but only a lot of work.  I
didn't expect to have my ingenuity so thoroughly challenged with the
complex curves in space, the balance of positive and negative space, and
the interaction of natural and geometric elements.

I think I will have to spit my efforts in two directions, one a very
high-poly 'natural' version, breaking the features into separate files
and perhaps even using POV looping to assemble the model at rendertime,
and the other a low-poly, very stylized version.  My attempt to
comprimise the two just doesn't seem to work.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ruins.160a.jpg' (43 KB)

Preview of image 'ruins.160a.jpg'