POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:06:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Aug 2008 14:56:00
Message: <48ab1740$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>      Well, I didn't disable that.

I meant the process scheduler, not the service called "scheduler". :-)

> I left all windows services running and
> disabled ZA, AVG email scanner, AVG Watchdog, Google update service,
> Ad-Aware, Epson printer status, A-Squared free service, Office source engine
> and nVidia driver service(???).

Oh, OK. Well, I guess the AV type stuff might be running more than you'd
expect, and I wouldn't be surprised of the nVidia driver services were
the problem. I almost always leave that sort of stuff turned off and
never have a problem.  Lots of AV stuff is a performance suck.

>      I guess you could also disable a lot of Windows services too, but you'd
> have to be careful (or at least I would), because some rely on others to
> work and I haven't got a clue as to what services rely on others.

Well, it's all listed, and turning it off tells you what else it'll
disable. Knowing what they're *for* is another question. And it won't
let you turn off the stuff you need to run windows at all.

> but it felt more 'fluid' if you like.

"Feelings" is what I was trying to avoid, especially when the game will
show you the actual measured results. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)