POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:04:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: St
Date: 19 Aug 2008 14:34:46
Message: <48ab1246$1@news.povray.org>
news:48aaeb70@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>>    Well, maybe not, but it does make a difference.
>
> That's weird. I have no idea why it would make that much of a difference.
> I didn't think the Windows scheduler sucked that much. :-)

     Well, I didn't disable that. I left all windows services running and
disabled ZA, AVG email scanner, AVG Watchdog, Google update service,
Ad-Aware, Epson printer status, A-Squared free service, Office source engine
and nVidia driver service(???).

     I guess you could also disable a lot of Windows services too, but you'd
have to be careful (or at least I would), because some rely on others to
work and I haven't got a clue as to what services rely on others.

> (It's not that I didn't believe you. It just wasn't clear to me from your
> earlier posts whether this was a first-hand experience or something you
> heard rumored somewhere.  Actually, reading it again, it is clear you said
> you personally experienced that. Sorry.)

 Dang man! Now you've just killed my trolling! ;)  No need to apologise
Darren, I'm not the brightest spark in an engine when it comes to computers
that's for sure. But I continue to learn from you guys as best I can.  :)

   Here's something I learnt all by my very own self only an hour ago.
Today, I bought a 500Gb external hard drive. I shoved all of my FarCry files
(2 gigs)over to it, and all of my Crysis files (6 gigs) too. I then tested
my map ingame after trying to sort out the first savepoint in my level. It
*felt* even faster than it usually does! The savepoint didn't work, so I've
done something wrong, but when I figure what it is and test it again, I'll
get Fraps to show me the fps ingame. This is with all services on. Hmm, just
getting rid of 8 gigs helps game performance? I'm not so sure about that,
but it felt more 'fluid' if you like.

  See, that's the kind of thing that puzzles me about computers. <scratches
rapidly balding head> Heh... ;)

     ~Steve~