POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:05:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: St
Date: 19 Aug 2008 05:34:18
Message: <48aa939a@news.povray.org>
news:48aa1660@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>>     No, it just clears some heavy memory for you as far as I understand
>> it.
>
> Virtual memory, much? Maybe Windows' VM algorithm sucks, but I wouldn't
> think it sucks that bad. And you'd need to have a crapload of services
> running before the bookkeeping overhead started to take up noticable
> memory, methinks. On my machine, all the services put together are 100
> meg, which is about 4 times the size of explorer with no windows open.
> Assuming that "mem usage" actually means "in physical memory" and I
> don't have to subtract out the "vm size" to find the working set size.
> Not exactly "heavy memory" either way, methinks. :-)

   Well, maybe not, but it does make a difference.

> You should try it and tell us how many FPS it saves you, for real.

   Sure. See the attached. This is quite a heavy scene from my map in the
editor. Screen1_mem is with all services on. Screen2_mem is with only 9
non-essential services turned off. I more or less managed to get the shots
in the same position, but notice the difference. Now, when you're running
along a clear road, I can see that being a good 3 to 5 fps gain, (probably
more).

    ~Steve~

> --
> Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'screen2_mem.jpg' (89 KB) Download 'screen1_mem.jpg' (88 KB)

Preview of image 'screen2_mem.jpg'
screen2_mem.jpg

Preview of image 'screen1_mem.jpg'
screen1_mem.jpg