POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Bistro [170 Kb] : Re: WIP Bistro [170 Kb] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Bistro [170 Kb]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Aug 2008 04:20:03
Message: <48aa8233$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht

> Thanks. The texture is actually individual rounded boxes arrayed in
> concentric circles.  Each takes its color from an underlying photo using
> trace(). So it is a kind of fake mosaic.  To automate a more realistic
> mosaic, where the pieces loosely follow contours, would be an interesting
> accomplishment, but not within my reach I am afraid.  The photos are by a
> contributor I know over on DeviantArt.  The pinkish ones are of her own
> lips, closeup.

This is an interesting technique indeed... Hmm, have to think about that!

http://images.patiofurnitureusa.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:ALH162.jpg&h=175&w=175
> http://images.netshops.com/mgen/digimarc.ms?img=master:MDW322.jpg&h=300&w=300
> http://www.holloways.co.uk/garden/wrought/bistro/large/provence01g.jpg

Comparing those photographs with your furniture, I believe yours are just a
tiny bit thinner, especially the tables. Note that several chairs have
double wires too. I remember those chairs from my youth in France, where we
had them in the garden. However, I agree with you and Alain that the
material is quite strong by itself, so my comment on this is not entirely
valid. It is more the impression of frailty that concerned me I think.

> Yeah I'll fix the posts.  The arbor structure was a single modelled piece
> with one wood texture applied. The center of the circular wood texture
> (rotated to vertical) is about at the right foreground table. I'll take a
> breath then make the posts separate with separately applied textures.  I
> was just being lazy there, though I might get away sith it. What *was* I
> thinking?

After reading Alain's answer, I agree that the posts can rest on the
pavement, perhaps fixed invisibly by a steel pin. So, no real need to change
that. Now that I think about it, I have seen posts like these, fixed a short
distance above ground (by a metal pin) giving the impression of floating in
the air.

>> Overall, it reminds me of some impressionist paintings
>>

> Never thought of that, a nice compliment.  I love those impressionist
> paintings.

It may be a combination of things like the palet used, the scene depicted,

Thomas