POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:06:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: St
Date: 18 Aug 2008 20:05:38
Message: <48aa0e52$1@news.povray.org>
news:48a9e0ac$1@news.povray.org...
>>> Oh, SURE, because 15 guys with rocket launchers might somehow all
>>> simultaneously miss me. :-P
>>
>>     Oh, SURE, they can shoot your ass off with RL's, no problem. But you
>> didn't arrive there with enough ammo to do what I said, so you would have
>> no chance really. What you do do is: with your sniper rifle, take out the
>> guy, (or there might be two of them, can't remember), to the right on the
>> platform, and the guy to the left of you on that small platform, (near
>> the mountainside). This will alert all the others because you've fired
>> your sniper rifle. The rest all bundle together behind those tanks, and
>> by then, you have reached the steps before turning the corner. You then
>> take a deep breath and lob a grenade over the top of the tanks, they
>> immediately start firing their RL's killing eachother, and to make things
>> worse for them, you do a runner through them all. Seriously, I've done
>> it, but that's the harder way, it's easier to do just by running through
>> them.
>
> I couldn't *see* any of them until I rounded the corner. And then it's far
> too late. In the end, my winning strategy (I use the term "winning" very
> loosely) was to hurl grenades at random until most of them were dead...

   LOL, well, I've done it that way too... :) You've got to have the ammo
though...

>>> For example, the first time I played it, the second island with the
>>> radio antenna was really hard. There's snipers and guys with rocket
>>> launchers and all the rest of it. But then I reinstalled Windoze, and
>>> had to play again from the beginning. This time, I swam underwater to
>>> the *back* of the island, killed the three people guarding that end, and
>>> blew up the radio tower. The snipers and rocket boys never even took a
>>> shot at me. ;-)
>>
>>     Yes, I did that trick too, but with me, I went back and took 'em out!
>> <eg>
>
> o_O
>
> You scary man...

  It was phun!! ;)

>>> There seems to be quite a few points in the game where you can take...
>>> obscure routes to improve your odds significantly.
>>
>>      Yes, FC was good for this with very unlinear game-play, (apart from
>> inside buildings, that is). Did you climb mountains? When I first played
>> it, I didn't think you could, but if you find the right place, you can.
>> ;)
>
> It's kind of interesting how the game tends to strongly hint to you that
> you should do one thing, when actually that's the "wrong" thing to do.
> Like on River, where there are spare boats everywhere. Just hop in one and
> watch yourself die repeatedly! :-P

    I've NEVER completed River by using boats. I died every time I tried.
I'm sure it is possible, if you're good enough to control them properly.
Heck, I got to the last grunts in a boat, and then they killed me!! Hmm...
If you do the stealth thing along the right-hand side of the river, you can
take out most of the RL and sniper grunts leaving room to get to your
destination. Hiding in the big waterfall helps too.

> HalfLife likes to use reverse psychology, but generally if there's a
> weapon or a vehicle, you need to use it or you'll fail horribly. FarCry
> isn't like that...
>
>>> How old is this game BTW? The foliage rendering is quite impressive, but
>>> many other things about the game look a little low-tech. (E.g.,
>>> character movements, the cutscenes, etc.)
>>
>>     Four years old now, I think. 3d gaming has moved a notch up since
>> though.
>
> Really? I thought it was older than that... Oh well!

     Just checked: released '04.

>>> BTW... sticky ladders, much?!
>>
>>    Wuh... ?  O-O
>
> That time-honoured tradition that once you're on a ladder, it's almost
> impossible to get off it. As if the ladder were physically "sticky". It's
> very irritating.

     You mean: "to jump off the ladder as and when you want"? Yes, I get it
now. Unfortunately, that still happens in Crysis too. It's an animation when
you climb ladders so there's nothing you can do to change that. (Unless you
create a MOD that is!)  ;)

> You know the end of Boat where you have to climb out the top? Can you
> ****ing climb back in again? NO! Even getting out of the top is a
> struggle. The physics is so glitchy...

   I can't remember where this is. Are you sure it's at the end of 'Boat'?
For what it's worth, I don't think I had any problems going back through the
levels.

>>> Uh... If it's a new game, then I doubt that a puny little GeForce 7900GT
>>> is sufficiently powerful to run it.
>>
>>      PLEASE SWAP ME YOUR 7900GT FOR MY 6600GT!! Heh... ;)
>
> Oh... my God... o_O
>
>>     I don't know why you keep moaning about this. I'm playing Crysis on
>> mine with fairly good settings. Mostly medium, some low, and some high. I
>> get around 10 to 18 fps which is 'playable'. Of, course, when I get some
>> 'heavy' action, it will slow down even further, but it won't lock up, and
>> I still continue.
>
> Wait - you're playing *Crysis*, the most insanely power-hungry computer
> game in history, on a GeForce 6 series? 0_0

    Yes, seriously. I've played it *many* times now on this two year old
6600GT. I can't stress enough that it 'PLAYS'. It plays well enough to enjoy
it without ripping your GC out and stamping on it. Graphics Cards are weird.
In the forums over at crymod.com, I've seen guys having trouble playing with
their 8800GTX's. Why? I have no idea.  :o/

    Most don't, but some have. Go figure. <shrug>

> My God... you poor, poor human. x_x

   As I said: SWAP ME!  ;)

>>     You know before playing a game that you can disable all of the
>> services running in the background apart fom MS services? I don't
>> normally do this, but when I have, I gain about 3-5 fps across the board.
>
> Uh... that would kind of imply that the game is CPU-bound, which doesn't
> sound right.

    No, it just clears some heavy memory for you as far as I understand it.
(I might be wrong). Just make sure your internet isn't active though if you
do it.

   ~Steve~