POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:05:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Aug 2008 16:50:52
Message: <48a9e0ac$1@news.povray.org>
>> Oh, SURE, because 15 guys with rocket launchers might somehow all
>> simultaneously miss me. :-P
>
>     Oh, SURE, they can shoot your ass off with RL's, no problem. But you
> didn't arrive there with enough ammo to do what I said, so you would have no
> chance really. What you do do is: with your sniper rifle, take out the guy,
> (or there might be two of them, can't remember), to the right on the
> platform, and the guy to the left of you on that small platform, (near the
> mountainside). This will alert all the others because you've fired your
> sniper rifle. The rest all bundle together behind those tanks, and by then,
> you have reached the steps before turning the corner. You then take a deep
> breath and lob a grenade over the top of the tanks, they immediately start
> firing their RL's killing eachother, and to make things worse for them, you
> do a runner through them all. Seriously, I've done it, but that's the harder
> way, it's easier to do just by running through them.

I couldn't *see* any of them until I rounded the corner. And then it's
far too late. In the end, my winning strategy (I use the term "winning"
very loosely) was to hurl grenades at random until most of them were dead...

>> For example, the first time I played it, the second island with the radio
>> antenna was really hard. There's snipers and guys with rocket launchers
>> and all the rest of it. But then I reinstalled Windoze, and had to play
>> again from the beginning. This time, I swam underwater to the *back* of
>> the island, killed the three people guarding that end, and blew up the
>> radio tower. The snipers and rocket boys never even took a shot at me. ;-)
>
>     Yes, I did that trick too, but with me, I went back and took 'em out!
> <eg>

o_O

You scary man...

>> There seems to be quite a few points in the game where you can take...
>> obscure routes to improve your odds significantly.
>
>      Yes, FC was good for this with very unlinear game-play, (apart from
> inside buildings, that is). Did you climb mountains? When I first played it,
> I didn't think you could, but if you find the right place, you can. ;)

It's kind of interesting how the game tends to strongly hint to you that
you should do one thing, when actually that's the "wrong" thing to do.
Like on River, where there are spare boats everywhere. Just hop in one
and watch yourself die repeatedly! :-P

HalfLife likes to use reverse psychology, but generally if there's a
weapon or a vehicle, you need to use it or you'll fail horribly. FarCry
isn't like that...

>> How old is this game BTW? The foliage rendering is quite impressive, but
>> many other things about the game look a little low-tech. (E.g., character
>> movements, the cutscenes, etc.)
>
>     Four years old now, I think. 3d gaming has moved a notch up since
> though.

Really? I thought it was older than that... Oh well!

>> BTW... sticky ladders, much?!
>
>    Wuh... ?  O-O

That time-honoured tradition that once you're on a ladder, it's almost
impossible to get off it. As if the ladder were physically "sticky".
It's very irritating.

You know the end of Boat where you have to climb out the top? Can you
****ing climb back in again? NO! Even getting out of the top is a
struggle. The physics is so glitchy...

>> Uh... If it's a new game, then I doubt that a puny little GeForce 7900GT
>> is sufficiently powerful to run it.
>
>      PLEASE SWAP ME YOUR 7900GT FOR MY 6600GT!! Heh... ;)

Oh... my God... o_O

>     I don't know why you keep moaning about this. I'm playing Crysis on mine
> with fairly good settings. Mostly medium, some low, and some high. I get
> around 10 to 18 fps which is 'playable'. Of, course, when I get some 'heavy'
> action, it will slow down even further, but it won't lock up, and I still
> continue.

Wait - you're playing *Crysis*, the most insanely power-hungry computer
game in history, on a GeForce 6 series? 0_0

My God... you poor, poor human. x_x

>     You know before playing a game that you can disable all of the services
> running in the background apart fom MS services? I don't normally do this,
> but when I have, I gain about 3-5 fps across the board.

Uh... that would kind of imply that the game is CPU-bound, which doesn't
sound right.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/