POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of trolling... : Re: Speaking of trolling... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of trolling...
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2008 13:42:26
Message: <48a9b482@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Is there anything Microsoft could do that wouldn't be evil?
>
> Sure, the XBox is a great product, and has pretty much killed my impulse
> to game on a PC.

But... but... It's running *Windows*!  And it has DRM!  Eeeevil! ;-)

>> Follow the standard: Evil proprietary software (See Sun's Java lawsuit)
>
> That one was actually because they didn't follow the standard, even
> though they signed a contract saying they would.

They *did* follow the standard. They passed more of the
standards-checking tests than Sun's implementation did. You just had to
check the checkbox in the development environment that said "complain
about Microsoft-only extensions" if you wanted complaints about
Microsoft-only extensions. The MS JVM was actually better and more
standard than Sun's were.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)