POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Manifest : Re: Manifest Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Manifest
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 18 Aug 2008 10:22:51
Message: <48a985bb$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Yep. It's an application manifest. It gives Windows additional
>> information about the app, such as versions of DLLs that it requires,
>> among other things. Also can be useful for such things as getting
>> Windows XP style UI.
>
> OK... So how come this was never needed before? (And deleting it has no
> apparent effect on anything.)

It is optional. It was created as a way to simply add extra information
about the executable, mainly as a means of allowing for side-by-side
installation of different versions of the same DLL, as a way of getting
apps out of DLL-Hell. It can also be embedded as a resource. I can't
remember the specifics, but I think it's a text resource with an ID of
0. With that, you don't need a separate .manifest file.