POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of trolling... : Speaking of trolling... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Speaking of trolling...
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Aug 2008 19:56:20
Message: <48a8baa4@news.povray.org>
Is there anything Microsoft could do that wouldn't be evil?

Give money to big open source competitor: Evil.
(http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/is_microsoft_trying_to_kill_apache)

Give money to big commercial OS competitor (aka Apple): Evil.

Use open source without paying (BSD TCP stack): Evil freeloaders.

Do it yourself instead: Evil proprietary software vendor.

Add your own features: Evil proprietary software vendor.

Follow the standard: Evil proprietary software (See Sun's Java lawsuit)

Make the standard: Evil proprietary standards.

Mimic someone else's features: So evil we'll sue you over look-and-feel.

Don't upgrade your software at all: stifling the web ecology.
(http://www.onenaught.com/posts/44/microsofts-internet-explorer-slows-down-web-development)

Don't include the software at all: Windows package management sucks
because you have to download stuff.

Charge money: Microsoft tax.

Don't charge money: Illegal bundling.

Don't give away source code: Evil proprietary.

Give away source code: Evil proprietary.

I suspect if Microsoft open-sourced Windows and allowed derivatives,
Linux users would complain they're just trying to take development
resources away from Linux. :-)

Yes, this is somewhat of a troll. But I'm interested in hearing what
people think MS could do that wouldn't be either evil or immediately put
MS completely out of business.

If you don't like trolls, don't answer. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)