POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : skin shader test (60k jpg) : Re: skin shader test (82k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skin shader test (82k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 15 Aug 2008 17:02:33
Message: <48a5eee9@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> Hi Sam:
>
>    Here is my first try with your fastSSS, using my photo-skin tests. The
> first image is just the plain image_map without radiosity, and the second
> is the result of just using the fastSSS pigment as a texture map pattern.
> The result is even better than using media, as it has no artifacts and is
> easy to setup, and indeed is much faster (even adding area_light and
> focal_blur was not much slower).

I'm glad somebody is using it! It seems to have worked well for your model.

It can still be pretty slow to parse. If POV-Ray supports aoi for
arbitrary points in space someday, there might be a way to trick the
technique into rendering a comparable result with even less parse time.

>   I can't stop wondering how the hell you do to figure out all these
> incredible techniques... it's simply amazing.

I spend waaay too much time thinking about rendering ;)

> Being very selfish, I hope
> your artistic side doesn't take over the technical one... ;)
> --
> Jaime

Having started CG because of my interest in art makes me wonder how my
technical side has overridden my artistic side! I want to focus my
attention from render features to feature renders ;)

Sam